You are hereHome >
U.S. PIRG Tax & Budget National Campaign Director
U.S. PIRG is hiring a National Campaign Director to lead our Tax & Budget program. We’re looking for an experienced political advocate who will be directing campaign strategy, influencing stakeholders, political organizing, coalition-building, evaluating policy choices, fundraising and developing staff.
The Tax & Budget National Campaign Director will be taking on one of the most important issues facing our democracy. Tax and budget decisions are the most concrete way that communities declare priorities and balance competing values. Unfortunately, government decisions about how to raise revenue and support public functions often fail to best advance the public interest.
We want to take on good government issues, where the general public will agree with our positions, and we can make real social change. It is not possible to ensure that government decisions serve the public interest unless information is publicly accessible. Transparency is key to reform. Companies should prosper based on their efficiency and innovation, not because their high-powered lobbyists and accountants enable them to use offshore tax havens and shell companies to dodge their taxes. Likewise, private companies that receive contracts and subsidies must be held to task for their actions. Spending and tax incentives should encourage actions that are good for society and the environment, while discouraging bad behaviors, like oil spills or bank scams.
- Program development: Evaluate the research on the issue, create viable policy solutions, and propose the right political strategy and messaging.
- Advocacy: Take our policies directly to key decision-makers in regulatory agencies, the statehouse, in Congress or wherever important decisions are being made.
- Campaign Strategy: Assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media coverage, and message development.
- Media Outreach: Serve as a chief spokesperson for our campaigns through tactics like media events, press releases and editorial board meetings.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and meet with major donors. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and develop our membership base.
- Staff recruitment and development: Recruit new staff and volunteers. Oversee program staff to develop and implement work plans; provide training and leadership development opportunities.
Candidates must have at least 8 years of relevant professional experience. Advanced degrees like a JD or a master’s degree are preferred, but not required. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership. We're looking for people who are goal-driven and results-oriented, who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work. Experience with related policy issues and how Washington, DC or statehouses work preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package.
Washington, DC, Chicago or Boston.
Please apply using our online application @ http://jobs.uspirg.org/apply.html. Direct your application to Andre Delattre, Executive Director of U.S. PIRG.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Tools & Resources
Supporting "Consumer First" Fiduciary Standard
Trojan Horse Hidden In Data Breach Bill
To Senate Banking Committee
"Visa vs. Stoumbos" is before the Court's October term
DEFEND THE CFPB
Tell your senators to oppose the “Financial CHOICE Act,” which would gut Wall Street reforms and destroy the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as we know it.
Your donation supports U.S. PIRG’s work to stand up for consumers on the issues that matter, especially when powerful interests are blocking progress.