Hackers gained access to the personal data of as many as 143 million Americans in the Equifax breach. There are five important actions we're recommending consumers take to protect themselves:
1. Request free credit reports from all three credit bureaus to spot any unauthorized activity.
2. Place credit freezes on your credit reports with all three credit bureaus.
3. Place free, renewable fraud alerts on your credit reports if you decide not to place credit freezes on them.
4. Don't accept any deal from Equifax until you understand how Equifax has modified its terms of service, and read our summary of the limitations and potential risks of Equifax’s offering.
5. If you’ve already been affected, take steps to recover from identity theft by visiting identitytheft.gov.
For more information, check out these frequently asked questions.
PHOTO: Creative Commons photo via Pixaby